MPS Rules and Policies Manual
Besides the links on this page, the Milwaukee Public Schools' administrative policies, administrative procedures, Board Governance Policies, and Board Rules are available online via the ElectronicSchoolBoard (ESB) at http://esb.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/ (via the "Policies & Regs" link in the right-hand panel on that page).
The rules and policies — as well as the agendas of Board and committee meetings — may be searched via ESB here.
Clicking on the headings below will also call up a list of the relevent documents.
- Administrative Policies
- Administrative policies address specific issues and general guidelines to be considered in the achievement of Board governance policies. The creation or revision of administrative policies is a mutual effort by the Board and the Administration. In the development of administrative policies, the Superintendent and the Director of Board Governance are provided the opportunity to initiate and make recommendations on policy to the Board. Although only the Board may adopt new administrative policies or revise existing policies, the Administration is authorized to develop procedures to implement administrative policies without Board approval, unless the Board has specifically directed that a particular procedure or regulation be given prior Board approval.
- The administrative policies are organized under nine major sections, each identified by a numeric code. Each policy is further cataloged by a decimal code to give each policy its own unique identification.
- Administrative Procedures
- Administrative procedures (referred to as "Regulations" in the ElectronicSchoolBoard) are established to implement a companion administrative policy. (Note, however, that not all administrative policies have related procedures, while some policies may have multiple procedures.)
- Generally, administrative procedures are developed by the Administration without approval of the Board. The Board may, however, direct that a specific procedure be submitted to the Board for approval prior to implementation.
- The administrative procedures are organized under the same section headings as the companion policies. Each procedure is given the same title and decimal code as its companion policy.
- Board Governance Policies
- The Governance Policies of the Milwaukee Board of School Directors establish overall direction for the Milwaukee Public Schools. Specifically, these policies address the Board's goals, governance process, relationship with the Superintendent and with the Director of Board Governance, and the constraints placed upon the Administration in executing Board policy.
- The Board Governance Policies are organized under four major sections, each identified by a numeric code. Each policy within a section is further catalogued alphanumerically to give each policy its own unique identification.
- Board Rules
- The Milwaukee Public Schools operate in accordance with the Wisconsin Statutes, Chapter 119 and other applicable statutes governing Cities of the First Class. In accordance with these provisions, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors is empowered to establish rules for its own governance.
- The current Board rules are organized under the following
- Article I: Organization and Procedure
- Article II: Committees
- Article III: Code of Ethics — Board of School Directors
- Appendices to the Board Rules, concerning specific procedures to be followed by the Board relating to employee disciplinary hearings and to censure or removal of Board members from office, have also been included.