"Milwaukee Public Schools Safe Schools/Healthy Students Initiative is dedicated to collaborating with community partners to create school climates that foster positive student behavior and ultimately, develop responsible, productive youth."
The Safe Schools/Healthy Students (SS/HS) Initiative works to promote safe and healthy environments in which children can learn and grow.
Violence and substance abuse in schools compromises the educational climate and endangers teachers and students. The U.S. Departments of Education, Health and Human Services, and Justice are collaborating to provide federal grant funding to schools and to communities such as Milwaukee. With this funding, it is our responsibility to work together and provide comprehensive educational, mental health, social, law enforcement and juvenile justice services that promote healthy child development in school environments that are safe, disciplined and drug-free.
1. Reduce levels of disruption and violence in schools.
2. Prevent/reduce substance abuse among youth.
3. Increase attendance, reduce suspensions and improve school climate.
4. Increase access to mental health services for students as needed.
5. Increase school readiness of children in their first five years of life.